Warm Spicy Cranberry Drink

One Christmas many years ago, my mother-in-law filled her crock pot with a warm and spicy cranberry drink.  It was one of those cold, damp and foggy days so you can imagine how nice it was to have a hot drink waiting for us upon our arrival.  It became a favorite and we could count on this drink during the holidays.

I got to thinking about those days and sipping that nice warm drink and decided to dig out the recipe and make it.  It was different from what I remembered.  I do not recall it being so sweet so the second time I made it, I did a bit of adjusting to suit my taste.  I reduced the amount of brown sugar and added some cranberry juice to the mix.  The can of pineapple juice I had did not specifically say unsweetened but it didn't say sweetened either so I wonder if that was the error that I made.


Warm Spiced Cranberry Drink

1 can jellied cranberry sauce
2 cups water
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. allspice
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
1/8 tsp. cloves
1/8 tsp. salt
2 cups unsweetened pineapple juice
2 cups cranberry juice (Optional.  I used it to make the drink less sweet.)

Place all of the ingredients in a sauce pan.  Heat to boiling.  Stir making certain that the cranberry sauce has dissolved.  Pour the mixture into a crock pot to keep it hot.

PRINTABLE RECIPE

I always look forward to holding a warm mug, the aroma of cinnamon and sipping away while enjoying the lights on the tree and music softly playing in the background.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts